This event is history, please check out our future events !
About this workshop:
Enterprise architecture is not a goal, but an essential instrument to improve communication, alignment and cooperation between business and IT. This workshop will show you that building an EA involves a lot of communication with business responsibles about e.g. strategy, mission and vision, ...; with domain and business experts about business initiatives, products and services; with business process experts about business operations; with HR about roles and responsibilities; with IT about systems, applications, networks, databases, etc; without forgetting cross-cutting experts in security, governance, business continuity, standardisation and innovation.
Building an EA is not a simple task and it obviously takes more than 4 days, but we will show you what is involved, the tips and tricks to do it better and faster, and how you can tackle some of the problems and caveats that you will undoubtably encounter.
Imagine yourself as a member of the enterprise architecture team of the large airline company of "Enterprise Airways" (EA). Airline companies are operating in a highly competitive and ever-changing market, with very demanding customers and strict regulations by governments, the FAA, etc.
This workshop will teach you how to apply enterprise architecture concepts through a class-wide architecture project that develops a web-based EA repository and integrated set of basic EA artifacts.
These artifacts will document/model strategic initiatives and measures; business
requirements for processes and services; and supporting technology solutions
including information systems, applications, databases, websites, networks,
security, and standards. The course will also cover best practices to develop
EA artifacts in a manner that promotes linkage between the strategic, business,
and technology. After all, EA = S + B + T.
Why should you attend this workshop ?
- This workshop is very practical and guides you through the process of constructing & finding many artifacts of your current as-is architecture.
- During the group-based exercises, discussions within your team and with other teams will be very useful and reflect real-world discussions
- You will learn how to approach the to-be architecture and how this impacts your current architecture
This workshop contains the following parts:
Day 4: Where do you go from here ?
- Day 1: Getting up to speed
(this is a very intensive day, hope you are well-prepared and have had enough sleep)
- What is Enterprise Architecture ?
- Enterprise Architecture Defined
- EA Inputs and Drivers
- EA Outcomes
- EA Activities
- EA Core Elements
- Introduction to the "Enterprise Airways" case study
- Day 2: Documenting Sub-Architectures
- Strategy Sub-Architecture: strategic plan, SWOT analysis, concept of operations (CONOPS), Balanced Scorecard, strategy map
- Business Sub-Architecture: Business plan, process diagram, activities, business use cases, ...
- Data Sub-Architecture: knowledge management plan, information exchange and CRUD matrix, data models, data dictionary, ...
- Systems and Applications Sub-Architecture: interfaces, communication, data flow, performance, data exchange, ...
- Network and Infrastructure Sub-Architecture: connectivity diagrams, inventories, ...
- Security Sub-Architecture: security plan and solutions, continuity of operations, disaster recovery
- Standards Documentation
- Workforce Documentation: workforce plan, org chart, knowledge and skills
- Day 3: Implementing Sub-Architectures
- Implementing the Strategy, Business, Data, Application Sub-Architecture
- Putting Strategy & Business and Data & Systems Artifacts in an EA repository
- Implementing the Network and Security Sub-Architecture & Putting it in the EA repository
- Current and future architectures and views
- Target architecture workshop
- Reviewing an EA Management Plan
Why should you attend this practical enterprise architecture workshop ?
Following this workshop, participants will be better prepared to participate in and add value at an intermediate
level in EA projects in private and public sector organizations, including documentation,
modeling, archiving, tool use, and task accomplishment. This will result in
improved EA program success, higher quality EA products, improved communication
with EA program stakeholders, and increased EA value delivery.
At the end of the 4-day "Applied Enterprise Architecture Concepts" workshop, participants will receive an attendance certificate issued by I.T. Works and EA Fellows.
Who should attend this practical enteprise architecture workshop ?
This workshop is particularly useful for anyone who is involved in enterprise architecture.
This includes, but is not restricted to Business Managers, Program Managers, Technology Managers, Technical Staff.
This workshop is organised in cooperation with
and EA Fellows.
The number of participants is limited to 16 for maximum interaction and learning
experience. During this workshop, free wifi Internet access will be available to our
About the Enterprise Architecture Certification Programme
Are you looking to expand your knowledge of Enterprise Architecture (EA) ? Are you trying to control business and technology development projects ? But you don't know for sure if your line-of-business applications support your business goals ? Do you need to learn EA best practices, so that you can maximize the benefits of EA for your organization ?
If so, then the new Enterprise Architecture Certification Program, offered by EA Fellows and by Carnegie Mellon University's Institute for Software Research International (ISRI), one of the world's leading IT education and research centers, and organised by I.T. Works in Belgium, is the program for you. "It is an honour and a pleasure to launch the EA-certification programme developed by Carnegie Mellon University here in Europe. Over the past several years, the demand for EA-competencies in Europe has increased tremendously, and it is time to roll out professional certification here now", says Dr. John Gøtze, the Chief Editor of the Journal of Enterprise Architecture, and instructor of the certification courses.
This Enterprise Architecture certification program will give you the knowledge
and skills you need to successfully implement an EA initiative in the public
or private sector. You will learn EA concepts, best practices, and tools from
experienced Carnegie Mellon certified instructors. The Certification Program
is built from three intensive courses which provide a comprehensive development
program for Enterprise Architects: the "Fundamentals
of Enterprise Architecture" course, this "Applied Enterprise Architecture" course and the "Advanced Enterprise Architecture". You will attain "Certified Enterprise Architect" status
after passing three intensive exams for each of these courses.