Legal Aspects of Information Technology
Basic legal issues IT managers and software developers need to know about Information Technology and Law
25 October 2005 (14-21)
Location: Sofitel Diegem
(Diegem near Brussels (Belgium))
Presented in English
Price: 480 EUR
(excl. 21% VAT)
This event is history,
please check out the List of Upcoming Seminars
Check out our related open workshops:
Check out our related in-house workshops:
Registration with Coffee/Tea and Croissants
aspects of IT
- What personal data (of clients, employees...) can be stored? Under what
- Can employee surfing behavior or email content be monitored or filtered?
Can surfing behavior on external websites be individualised and stored?
- Can I use whatever encryption I like?
- How are security breaches (hacking, access without permission, data theft...)
defined by law?
- Can a company be liable for security breaches (such as liability for damage
caused by third parties due to a negligent protection of its customer/supplier/employee
- Can a company be liable for illegal activities running from the company
- What about liability when IT security has been outsourced?
A closer look at IT contracts
- What types of contracts an IT manager has to deal with?
- Which legal framework regulates these contracts?
- Is there any specific legislation on software, hardware and IT services ?
Software licensing and development
- What are the typical rights and obligations for both licensor and licensee?
Which provisions does a licensing contract explicitly need to contain (on
e.g. proper usage or transferability)?
- What are the do's and don'ts for contracts on custom-made software?
- Are there any template contracts for the software delivery cycle (specifications,
- Escrow: trusting software source code to a third party.
- Confidentiality: how do I ensure that a software developer will not reveal
his knowledge of my business process to competitors?
- Service Level Agreements: how to make sure that the Quality of Service is
- Is there such a thing as Quality of Service in consulting?
- Who is responsible when a service provider on its turn outsources part of
- What are the essential elements in pricing and invoicing clauses?
- Under what conditions can a contract be unilaterally terminated?
Texts and documents
- e-Archiving: what is the legal value of electronic (archive) copies of documents?
- e-Contracting: what legal value does an electronic contract have? And what
about a contract between parties with a different legal system (e.g. cross-border) ?
- e-Signatures: can an electronic signature replace a handwritten signature?
What's the role of the electronic identity card (eID)?
- Can information published on the company website be used against that company?
How can the company safeguard itself against this?
- What are the legal do's and don'ts concerning direct marketing by email? And by
means of sms?
- Is a company entitled to all the intellectual property rights on all the
documents and software written by employees using company infrastructure?
- How can a software company safeguard itself against piracy?
- Can I take legal action against domain names that are referring to my company
or product names?
End of this seminar
Questions about this ? Interested but you can't attend ? Send us an email !