This event is history,
please check out the List of Upcoming Seminars, or send us an email
Check out our related open workshops:
Check out our related in-house workshops:
“BI Guru @rick_vanderlans presents the Big Picture on Big Data”
13.30h - 14.00h
Registration and welcome of the participants with Coffee/Tea and Croissants, Vendor Expo and Networking Opportunity
- The history of database servers: from file servers to database servers
- How important are concepts such as declarative language and storage independence?
- Trends in the database market
- The need for more data scalability and query performance
What does big data have to offer for retail, utilities, banking, insurance, ... companies ?
Big Data: Hype or Reality ?
- What exactly do we mean with Big Data ?
- The key application area of Big Data: business analytics
- The four Vís of big data: volume, variety, velocity, and variability
- Differences between semi-structured, poly-structured, multi-structured, and unstructured data
- Examples of Big Data: sensor data, (micro-)event data, and clickstream data
- What is the value of Big Data for your organisation ?
- Classification of NoSQL products: key-values stores, document stores, column-family stores, and graph data stores
- Itís all about data scalability and performance
- NoSQL and clusters, replication and sharding
- New transaction concepts like the CAP theorem, eventual consistency, replication factor and partition tolerance
- Why is schema-on-read more flexible than schema-on-write ?
- How does MapReduce work ?
- The Hadoop stack: HDFS, MapReduce, Hive, ZooKeeper, Pig, Impala, ...
- Are NoSQL products really database servers?
- Market overview, including Apache Hadoop, HBase and CouchDB,
IBM InfoSphere BigInsights,
Microsoft HDInsight Server and Windows Azure SQL Database,
Oracle Big Data Appliance and
- Productivity and maintenance implications of working with a low-level API instead of SQL
- Application areas of NoSQL database servers
15.45h - 16.00h
Coffee/tea Break with Refreshments, Vendor Expo and Networking Opportunity
Analytical SQL Database Servers
- Classification of analytical SQL database servers, and can they compete with NoSQL products?
- The advantages and disadvantages of column-based database servers
- How important is in-database analytics?
- Is loading databases into internal memory the solution? Is it feasible?
- Market overview, including Actian VectorWise (Ingres) and ParAccel, EMC/Greenplum,
Teradata Appliance and
Teradata Aster Database
17.00h - 17.45h
Exploring Data in NoSQL Systems Using SQL
17.45h - 19.00h
Dinner Buffet, Vendor Expo and Networking Opportunity
19.00h - 20.00h
Data Virtualization, NoSQL and Big Data
- What is data virtualization?
- Differences between abstraction, data federation and data integration
- On-demand versus scheduled integration and transformation
- How data virtualization can open Big Data to the masses
- Joining data in NoSQL systems with data in classic systems
- Product overview, including those of Composite Software, Denodo, IBM, Informatica, RedHat, and Stone Bond
- NewSQL means high-performance transactional SQL systems, based on shared-nothing architectures and supporting ACID-transactions
- Simpler transactional mechanisms
- Avoiding multi-table joins that can't be parallelized
- The use of geographical databases
- Market overview of NewSQL products, including Akiban,
- What is the role of NewSQL tools in the big data world ?
Q & A, Summary and Conclusions
- When to use NoSQL?
- When to use which database technology?
- High-level overview of database market
SPEAKERS » REGISTER »
End of this Seminar